ZUIHODEN  The mausoleum Masamune Date of the first feudal load  of Sendai-Han


about Zuihoden

we introduce such as mausoleum,historical site in zuihoden.


Date Masamune was born in Yonezawa Castle in 1567.
He conquered various areas mainly in the southern part of the Tohoku region and was widely dubbed dokuganryu(one-eyed dragon) because of his missing eye.
At the start of the Edo Period(1603-1867), Masamune promoted local industry, economy,and culture as the first feudal lord of Sendai-han(Sendai domain),which had an official income of 620,000 koku.
Masamune passed away in 1636 at the age of 70, and according to his last will and testament, the mausoleum known as Zuihoden was built for him here in kyogamine the following year.
Zuihoden was constructed in the very gorgeous japanese architectural style known as Momoyama and was designated as a national treasure by the former japanese Imperial Government in 1931. in 1945, however, the original Zuihoden was burnt down in the war.
The present building was rebuilt in 1979 and subsequently repaired in 2001 to more closelyresemble the original mausoleum.
This included fitting lion mask sculptures to the columns and tiles and dragon heads at the four corners of the roof.


We rebuilt the garden which was part of the facility at Zuiho, and we use the interior as a museum.


Date Tsunamune (1640-1711), Who was the third feudal lord of Sendai-han , began to show his artistic talent as a child.
After governing the domain for two years from the age of 19, Tsunamune was forced to retire by order of the Tokugawa Syogunate.
It is, however, said that he led a sophisticated elegant life after retirement, showing great talent for Japanese painting , calligraphy and lacquer work.
His works, including some ink paintings, are still highly appreciated as representative works of the Tohoku region during in the Edo Period.
The mausoleum built for this lord and named ZENNODEN was burnt down in 1945 and rebuilt in 1985 at the same time as Kansenden.
In archeological surveys conducted prior to the rebuilding , many items indicative of the lord's personality were discovered.
These inculude writing materials and items for burning incense. The mausoleum was repaired in 2007 and is now more richly colored.


after the death of Date Masamune, Date Tadamune (1599-1658) became the second feudal lord of Sendai-han.
He devoted himself to establishing a lawfully ruled social system and promoting local economy and industry through the development of rice fields,flood control and improvement of ports and harbors,through which he was able to stabilize his territory and solidify the foundation of Sendai-han.
The mausoleum named Kansenden was built for this lord. As ornate as Zuihoden, it was designated a national treasure in 1931 but was burnt down in 1945.
In 1985, Long after the end of World War repaired and sculptures of lion masks identical to those that adorned the original Kansenden were attached to its columns.


On the north side of Kansenden , there stands a mausoleum named myounkaibyo, which comprises three tombs: one facing east for the ninth feudal lord Date Chikamune, and two, both of which face the south, for the 11th feudal lord Date Nariyoshi and his wife.
In front of the approach road on the right side, there is a path leading to the Okosamagobyo cemetery, where the children of Data Yoshimura, the fifth feudal lord of Sendai-han and of lords after him are buried.


In the archeological surveys carried out prior to the rebuilding of the mausoleums of the three feudal lords of Sendai-han,
their skeletons were discovered in an almost complete form together with a range of their treasured personal belongings such as weapons and stationery.
Some of these burial accessorise and the likenesses of the three lords , including Masamune are on display at the museum.
In addition, the museum shows around 20-minute documentary of the archeological surveys.